Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Landlord prosecuted for putting students at risk

A Glasgow GP has been fined after failing to maintain a gas boiler at a student flat he owned in Oxford.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Dr Tariq Mahmood for breaching Gas Safety Regulations in December 2010.

Oxford Magistrates' Court heard that on 17 December 2010, a gas installer was called by the landlord to repair a boiler at Laurel Court, Nye Bevan Close, Oxford. He refused to service the appliance and called an emergency gas engineer, who immediately condemned the boiler and flue. He then reported it to the HSE.

The HSE investigation revealed that Dr Mahmood had failed to maintain the flat's boiler and flue for two years between January 2009 and December 2010. This action endangered the lives of the students who lived there, exposing them to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Dr Tariq Mahmood, of Broompark Drive, Newton Mearns, Glasgow, pleaded guilty to regulations 36(2)(a) and 36(2)(b) and two counts of 36(3)(a) of the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998. He was given a Conditional Discharge for a period of two years and ordered to pay costs of £4,928.


Go Back