Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Blog posts February 2012

Workers exposed to asbestos at Redditch industrial unit

A Redditch freight firm, its managing director and a Birmingham contractor have been prosecuted for putting at least 20 people at risk of lung disease from asbestos fibres.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Avon Freight Group Ltd. (AFG) and its managing director Simon Poole, togeth…

Read more

Cardiff property manager fined for asbestos failings

blue asbestosA property manager from Cardiff has been fined for failing to properly manage the risks from asbestos at one of his premises.

Richard Hayward of Cardiff Bay was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) over failings at the former Rhondda Pressing building, located on the Penygraig Indu…

Read more

Automotive component manufacturer fined after worker loses fingers

A firm specialising in manufacturing rubber components for the automotive industry has been prosecuted after a worker suffered disabling hand injuries.

The 46-year-old worker from Coalville, Leicestershire, who has asked not to be named, has been left with only the thumb on his left hand fully intac…

Read more

Gas engineer left pub kitchen at risk

A gas engineer from Ascot has been fined for work he carried out on a commercial catering gas installation in a local pub, despite not being registered for such work

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Philip Payne, 49, trading as Wentworth Plumbing and Heating, for work he carried out …

Read more

Cheshire manufacturer sentenced over finger loss

A Macclesfield firm has appeared in court after one of its employees lost two fingers in machinery.

The 34-year-old was polishing a 12-centimetre-long piece of metal, spinning on a lathe at up to 850 times a minute, when his right hand was dragged into the mechanism.

His middle and ring finger were …

Read more

Vehicle repair firm in court over Manchester roof death

A vehicle repair firm has been sentenced over the death of a man who fell through a fragile garage roof in Manchester.

Mohammed Hashim, 76, was helping to fix a new advertising sign to the roof of GB Autos on the Longsight Industrial Estate on Newton Avenue when he fell through a skylight. He did no…

Read more

Owner fined for girl's fall from funfair ride in Birmingham

A fairground owner from Nottingham has been sentenced after a 12-year-old girl injured her leg when she was thrown from a faulty ride in Birmingham.

Birmingham Magistrates' Court heard the girl fell about three metres through a gap in a barrier gate on the Tagada fairground ride at Star City, Birmin…

Read more

Dorset firm fined after worker's arm was crushed in machinery

A man had his arm crushed while trying to feed metal sheeting through machinery, Bournemouth Crown Court heard, on 16 February.

David James, 34, of Queensland Road, Weymouth has been unable to return to his job because of the injury which caused him severe pain.

Aden Pro Form Ltd, of Parkstone Road,…

Read more

London construction company fined after worker badly injured

A construction company in Harrow has been fined after a worker suffered life-changing injuries when he fell seven metres from an unguarded roof.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted R & G Construction Ltd. of Harrow as a result of the incident on 7 March 2011.

Vasile Ionel Vatca, a 28-ye…

Read more

St. Helens Managing Director sentenced over gas explosion

The Managing Director of a St Helens gas supply firm has appeared in court after he and an employee suffered multiple burns in an explosion.

John Webster was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after he and another worker received burns to their faces, hands and legs at North West Ga…

Read more

Council in court after respite resident scalded

The Isle of Wight Council has been fined £12,000 after an elderly resident staying in respite care was seriously scalded at a care home in Freshwater.

Isle of Wight Council, County Hall, High Street, Newport, Isle of Wight, pleaded guilty to Section 3(1) of the Health & Safety at Work etc. Act 1974…

Read more

Illegal Gloucestershire gasman lied about credentials

A Gloucestershire man has been prosecuted for carrying out remedial gas work at a restaurant in Cheltenham while falsely claiming to be registered with Gas Safe Register.

Timothy Smith from Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, inspected and tested gas pipework and appliances and issued the owner of the R…

Read more

Landlord prosecuted for putting students at risk

A Glasgow GP has been fined after failing to maintain a gas boiler at a student flat he owned in Oxford.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Dr Tariq Mahmood for breaching Gas Safety Regulations in December 2010.

Oxford Magistrates' Court heard that on 17 December 2010, a gas installer…

Read more

Office for Nuclear Regulation Safety Inspector Recruitment

The Office for Nuclear Regulation is planning to recruit 40 nuclear safety inspectors in each of the next two years, to give them the resources they need to regulate the nuclear industry and its increasing activities. From 23 February, the new safety inspector vacancies will go live and candidates w…

Read more

Bus company prosecuted after worker is crushed

A tour bus operator has been fined after a mechanical engineer suffered serious injuries while working underneath one of its vehicles.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted The Original London Sightseeing Tour Limited for failing to prevent the incident, which happened on 21 October 2009.

Read more

Bradford man prosecuted for illegal gas work

A gas fitter from Bradford has been sentenced after leaving an elderly woman at risk when he fitted a new boiler at her home.

Gareth Harland, of Milligan Avenue, carried out the work between 19 and 27 February at the woman's home but failed to seal the flue to the building. Unhappy with the work, th…

Read more

Company fined £133,000 after unguarded machinery death

At Glasgow Sheriff Court yesterday, Railcare Ltd. were fined £133,000 (reduced from £200,000 on account of their guilty plea) for a breach of Section 2 of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, following the death of one of their employees on 15 December 2008 at the company’s premises on Charl…

Read more

Two companies fined after fatality in Brentford

Two construction companies have been fined a total of £65,000 after a man was killed when a steel beam weighing more than a tonne fell on him while it was being unloaded from a lorry.

Fisher Engineering Ltd. and CM Structural Services Ltd. had pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to breaching Secti…

Read more

Unsafe asbestos removal put people at risk

A building company in Bradford-on-Avon has been fined after it removed an asbestos insulation board (AIB) ceiling in an unsafe manner, leaving workers and residents at risk of exposure to asbestos fibres.

D B Construction (West Wilts) Ltd, of Frome Road, Bradford-on-Avon, pleaded guilty to breach…

Read more

Workers seriously injured after eight metre fall

Two workers fell eight metres from a temporary structure that collapsed while they were upon it, Cheltenham Magistrates Court heard.

Spencer Gosney from Yeovil, and Matthew Brewer from Nottingham, had been sub-contracted to build a concrete core as part of a new factory building at GlaxoSmithKline's…

Read more

20 Blog Posts