Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Blog posts : "gas"

Illegal gas fitter prosecuted for endangering lives

An illegal gas fitter has been prosecuted for endangering lives by undertaking potentially lethal work at a property in Colchester.

Kevin Cook, 55, trading as Team Electric, installed a gas fire at a house in Rowhedge, Colchester, in August 2010, although he was not registered to undertake ga…

Read more

Wakefield landlord in court for flouting gas safety

A Wakefield landlord has been fined after ignoring repeated warnings to have gas appliances at his rented property checked for safety.

Mohammed Hanif was contacted by both Wakefield Council and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) instructing him to employ a registered gas engineer to undert…

Read more

TV ‘Rogue Trader’ in court again for botched gas work

Illegal gas fittersA convicted plumber who left a series of householders at risk from his illegal gas work was sentenced at Leeds Crown Court today for putting more lives in danger.

Brian Lloyd from Ossett, near Wakefield, was exposed for carrying out illegal gas work by the TV programme ‘Rogue Traders’ back in…

Read more

Illegal North Somerset gasman lied about credentials

How do I know my gas engineer is qualified to do the work?A Clevedon man has been prosecuted for illegally installing a gas boiler and flue at a property at Severn Beach, Bristol, while not registered with CORGI, the then industry body.

CORGI was superseded by the Gas Safe Register in April 2009.

North Avon Magistrates’ Court was told that Jeff…

Read more

Firm fined after worker burned in gas pipe fire

Metal gas pipe at demolition site that ignited in workers faceA demolition firm has been fined for safety failings after an employee suffered serious burns when a gas pipe ignited in his face.

The employee, 37, from Wakefield, West Yorkshire, was carrying out demolition work at a warehouse in Burton-on-Trent when he used an angle grinder to cut into a m…

Read more

Totton director fined after worker suffers burns

The director of a Totton company has been fined after an employee suffered burns while cutting the top off an unused propane gas tank at the director's home.

The 29 year-old worker from Winchester suffered burns over his left arm, torso and abdomen when he was asked, by Jamie Thomas Jewell, …

Read more

Illegal gas fitter prosecuted for endangering lives

An illegal gas fitter has been prosecuted for endangering lives at a property in Surrey with shoddy and unsafe work.

Michael Gill, 66, installed a new gas boiler and flue at a house in Kingsmead Park, Elstead, on 5 March 2008, both of which were left in a dangerous condition.

Guildford Magistr…

Read more

Unregistered gas installer put lives at risk

An unregistered gas fitter has been prosecuted for illegally carrying out work on a house in Hucknall, putting residents' lives at risk.

Robert Metcalf, 54, installed a new gas boiler at the Long Hill Rise property during August and September 2009, but following problems with the new boiler t…

Read more

Ipswich gas engineer fined for illegal work

A self-employed gas engineer has been fined for carrying out unregistered work on commercial premises in Ipswich.

Duncan Frere, 37, of Wilkinson Drive, Ipswich was hired between May and June 2010 to carry out the installation and connection of a number of gas appliances at the Super Kebab House…

Read more

Unregistered gas installer prosecuted

An unregistered gas installer was caught illegally carrying out work on a house in Newark.

Mr Phillip Birchmore, trading as PSB Plumbing and Heating, capped off a gas supply at the property in August 2010.  He then removed one boiler and hung a replacement boiler on the wall. Concerns were rais…

Read more

Suffolk mushroom grower prosecuted after workers' lives put at risk

A company has been fined after a visit by Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspectors found dangerous conditions in a factory on an industrial estate near Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.

Suffolk Mushrooms Limited was also housing 37 employees in a disused office block with a potentially unsafe gas boi…

Read more

Bedford dry cleaners fined for safety failings

A chain of dry cleaners in Bedford has been fined after putting workers' lives at risk from a poorly-maintained gas boiler.

Bedford Magistrates' Court heard inspectors from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) visited Kempston Cleaners in Tavistock Street on 1 July 2011 after an alert from an …

Read more

Wigan landlord sentenced over gas safety risk

A Wigan landlord has been prosecuted for putting the life of a tenant at risk by falsifying a gas safety document.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) took legal action against Terence McBride after it discovered he had changed the dates on the record for an annual gas safety check to suggest…

Read more

Basildon landlord prosecuted for putting tenants' lives at risk

A woman who owns a number of properties in Basildon which she rents to vulnerable families has been given community service for failing to keep their gas appliances well maintained and safe.

Investigations by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Onyemauche 'Fidelia' Peel, 49, of T…

Read more

Carlisle boss fined after ignoring fire warnings

The owner of a pallet manufacturing firm has appeared in court after he allowed fires to be repeatedly lit at his premises next to gas storage sites in Carlisle.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted George Ward after he ignored warnings about lighting fires at Brampton Pallets, which …

Read more

Unregistered gas fitter's work put people at risk

gas safe registerA Wrexham-based gas fitter has been sentenced after installing and illegally servicing equipment which could have resulted in harm to the tenants and landlord of a Wrexham property.

Wrexham Magistrates' Court sentenced Mr Neil Lloyd to a 12-month community order that includes 150 hours of unpaid …

Read more

Lancaster landlord sentenced for putting lives at risk

A landlord in Lancaster has been sentenced for putting the lives of a family at risk by failing to arrange an annual gas safety check.

Carole McMillan, 57, was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after she failed to arrange for a registered engineer to visit a property on Birkdale…

Read more

Staffordshire family exposed to carbon monoxide

Gas Safe RegisterA gas engineer from West Bromwich has been prosecuted after a family of five were taken to hospital following exposure to carbon monoxide.

The two adults and three children aged two, nine and 11 were taken ill on 22 January 2011, Birmingham Magistrates' Court heard. The family housekeeper was als…

Read more

Gas engineer left pub kitchen at risk

A gas engineer from Ascot has been fined for work he carried out on a commercial catering gas installation in a local pub, despite not being registered for such work

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Philip Payne, 49, trading as Wentworth Plumbing and Heating, for work he carried out …

Read more

St. Helens Managing Director sentenced over gas explosion

The Managing Director of a St Helens gas supply firm has appeared in court after he and an employee suffered multiple burns in an explosion.

John Webster was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after he and another worker received burns to their faces, hands and legs at North West Ga…

Read more

20 Blog Posts