Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Blog posts : "gas"

Illegal Gloucestershire gasman lied about credentials

A Gloucestershire man has been prosecuted for carrying out remedial gas work at a restaurant in Cheltenham while falsely claiming to be registered with Gas Safe Register.

Timothy Smith from Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, inspected and tested gas pipework and appliances and issued the owner of the R…

Read more

Landlord prosecuted for putting students at risk

A Glasgow GP has been fined after failing to maintain a gas boiler at a student flat he owned in Oxford.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Dr Tariq Mahmood for breaching Gas Safety Regulations in December 2010.

Oxford Magistrates' Court heard that on 17 December 2010, a gas installer…

Read more

Bradford man prosecuted for illegal gas work

A gas fitter from Bradford has been sentenced after leaving an elderly woman at risk when he fitted a new boiler at her home.

Gareth Harland, of Milligan Avenue, carried out the work between 19 and 27 February at the woman's home but failed to seal the flue to the building. Unhappy with the work, th…

Read more

Unregistered gas engineer left Cheltenham householders in danger

An illegal gas engineer lied to a householder about being registered to the industry body and left one property at risk of explosion after carrying out work at premises in Cheltenham.

Cheltenham Magistrates Court heard Christopher Clark, 39, a self-employed gas engineer, commissioned a central heati…

Read more

Plumber jailed for carrying out illegal gas work

A Suffolk plumber who put lives at risk by illegally working on domestic gas appliances has been sentenced to six months in prison.

Paul Jowett, 40, of Nelson Road, Pakefield, Lowestoft, admitted five breaches of gas and health and safety regulations when he appeared at Ipswich Crown Court today.

Read more

False identity leads to prosecution for Peterborough gas fitter

A self-employed plumber has been fined for posing as a registered gas fitter to try to carry out work on gas appliances at a Peterborough take-away.

Francesco Vaira, 61, of Lincoln Road, Peterborough, admitted breaching health and safety laws by carrying out illegal gas work by using a false ide…

Read more

Oxford landlord fined for failing to meet basic gas safety regulations

An Oxford landlord has been fined for endangering the lives of his tenants after consistently failing to provide safety records for gas appliances at a property he rented out in Didcot.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted William Edwards, 42, of Oxford, for breaching three charge…

Read more

Tata prosecuted for endangering workers during gas leak repair

Two workers narrowly avoided being killed or seriously injured when flames up to three metres in length shot from a leaking gas pipe during poorly planned and executed repair work.

The incident at Tata Steel's Scunthorpe Steelworks, on Brigg Road, Scunthorpe, resulted in minor facial burns for one o…

Read more

Tenby landlord sentenced for gas safety failings

A Tenby landlord has been fined for failing to maintain a gas fire safely within one of his properties.

David Ian Douglas-Law of Penally, Tenby, was fined £8,500 and ordered to pay costs of £1,500 at Haverfordwest Magistrates' Court following a prosecution brought by the Health and Safety Executiv…

Read more

Suspended prison sentences for illegal gas fitters

Two men who operated a Harrogate-based plumbing firm have been handed suspended prison terms for falsely claiming to be Gas Safe registered engineers and leaving one local family in "immediate danger".

The men, sole employees and directors of PH Plumbing and Heating Engineers Ltd, were found out …

Read more

Milton Keynes plumber put lives at risk with illegal gas work

A plumber who put a householder at risk by illegally installing and working on a gas boiler has been sentenced.

Trading as C&H Services, Christopher Johnson, 45, installed a new gas boiler in the kitchen of a residential property in Fairfield Road, Dunstable in April 2010.

He was called back …

Read more

Landlord prosecuted after Blackburn family put at risk

A landlord has been fined after he failed to make sure gas safety checks were carried out at a house in Blackburn, putting a family of eight at risk.

Rashid Hussain was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after he ignored repeated warnings about not arranging an annual visit by a…

Read more

Gas fitter sentenced for series of safety breaches

A North Wales man, who falsely claimed to be a registered gas engineer, has been sentenced to eight months' imprisonment after dangerously installing a gas boiler.

The Heath and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Mr Lee Hampshire, trading as LH Heating and Plumbing, for carrying out gas work and …

Read more

Gas safety in winter

gas fireWith the cold weather setting in, many households will be relying on gas boilers and gas fires to keep their family warm this winter. This increased usage can put pressure on gas appliances and could lead to them breaking down when they are needed the most.

It’s vital that everyone has their gas ap…

Read more

Wakefield builder fined for dangerous gas work

A family was put in danger after a local builder carried out defective gas fitting work while constructing an extension to their home, a court has been told.

Nigel Parker illegally modified the flue of a gas combi-boiler, extended pipework and moved the bayonet fitting for a gas cooker. He also left…

Read more

Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council fined for carbon monoxide leak

Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council has been fined for endangering people's health after carbon monoxide leaked from a gas boiler at a community centre.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted the local authority after members of a bridge club using the Westlands Community Centre in Whitf…

Read more

Walsall landlord prosecuted for putting tenants at risk

A Walsall landlord has been sentenced for failing to provide a gas safety certificate.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Khalid Hussain following a complaint from a tenant and her partner, who rent a house at Raleigh Street, Walsall from him.

Walsall  Magistrates’ Court heard that…

Read more

Illegal gas fitter receives two-year prison sentence

An Accrington man who falsely claimed he was a registered gas engineer has been sent to prison for two years for endangering people's lives at two properties in Lancashire, including a baby boy.

Stephen Jonathan was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) for committing a total of six…

Read more

Builder given Community Service Order for unsafe gas work

A self-employed Lockerbie builder has been given a Community Service Order after he carried out unsafe gas installation work at a house near Dumfries.

Kevin Graham was carrying out general building and plastering work at Greenbank Cottage on the outskirts of Ecclefechan during the Spring and Summer o…

Read more

Three hurt in Manchester Food and Drink Festival blast

Three people have suffered serious burns after a gas cylinder exploded at the Manchester Food and Drink Festival.

The blast happened shortly before 21:00 BST on Monday during a cookery demonstration at a stall in Albert Square by Manchester Town Hall.

Read the report from BBC News...

Read more

20 Blog Posts