Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Blog posts

Chemical Safety PPE Top to Toe

Video: Health and Safety Culture

Asbestos: The Facts

Video: Health and Safety News Update

#TestItTuesday

Proper safety tips when working with chemicals

chemical safety tips infographic

Maintaining a safe and productive working environment is often challenging whatever the circumstances. When chemicals are involved, that challenge can be significantly increased. Without proper handling, many of the substances on which we rely can be dangerous. Whether they emit noxious fumes, b…

Read more

Incoming site traffic

The bulk of traffic coming into this site is (unsurprisingly) from Google, with a few other search tools providing most of the rest. Just out of interest, we took a look at where 90% of our visitors came from and what they searched for the most. The remaining 10% of hits to the site are from direct …

Read more

Health and safety in the pharmacy


 

The key principles of COSHH

How To Get Through The Workplace Accident Claim Investigation

photo shows a person injured on a construction siteWorkers have certain rights when working in the workplace. One of their legal rights is to make a workplace injury claim against their employer once they get injured at work. But it comes with certain conditions. The employees can only make an accident at work claim when they have sustained an injur…

Read more

How to stay safe in the winter weather

Research has found that prolonged exposure to moderately cold temperatures kills more people than extreme heat or freezing spells. Looking at data collected in 384 locations, researchers have identified that the majority of these deaths actually happen on moderately hot and cold days, with moder…

Read more

Covid-19: Symptoms and Controls

The Key Principles of COSHH You Need to Know

photo shows items that would be covered by the COSHH regulations, including hand sanitiserMany industries deal with hazardous substances in their workplace every single day. For instance, companies involved in manufacturing may need to use chemicals to produce certain materials. Other industries that are known to deal with hazardous substances are healthcare industries and food industrie…

Read more

2019/20 health and safety statistics


 

Stay safe when working from home

Working from home was becoming increasingly common, even before the Covid-19 outbreak. With improvements in technology, it has become easier for many office-based workers to work from home for more of their working week. The attractions are easy to see: the lack of a commute; working in a relaxe…

Read more

Safety alert for KN95 facemasks

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has warned against the use of KN95 facemasks as Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). A safety alert has been issued, urging all employers and suppliers not to purchase or use KN95 facemasks as PPE.

The alert stated that "KN95 is a performance rating that is b…

Read more

Face fit testing - what you need to know

photo shows respiratory protective equipmentIll-fitting clothing is unflattering. Ill-fitting shoes are uncomfortable and ill-fitting protective equipment is unfit for purpose and therefore unsafe. This fact is recognized in law.

For example, the law requires that almost all protective masks be face-fit tested to ensure that they provide e…

Read more

Health and safety & security threats in retail businesses and how to remedy them

photo shows a shutter being closed over a shop windowHealth and safety and security threats are often either the same or very closely related. This means that by practicing good health and safety, you will often improve your security - and vice versa. Here are some tips to help.

Conduct regular assessments of your premises

Risk assessments are m…

Read more

A health and safety guide to maintaining a private commercial car park

image shows a car parkCar parks are now one of the UK’s most essential amenities and while their nature is changing (for example due to the move towards electric vehicles), the need for effective health and safety remain the same. With that in mind, here are some points to keep in mind.

Safety begins at the approach…

Read more

Stone merchant fined after vehicle struck an overhead power cable

Fairhurst Stone Merchants Ltd. has been fined for safety breaches after a vehicle made contact with an uninsulated overhead electric power line.

The company, of Langcliffe Mill, Stainforth Road, Langcliffe, Settle, pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 3 of the Electricity at Work Regulations 19…

Read more

20 Blog Posts