Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Blog posts : "maintenance"

Automotive component manufacturer fined after worker loses fingers

A firm specialising in manufacturing rubber components for the automotive industry has been prosecuted after a worker suffered disabling hand injuries.

The 46-year-old worker from Coalville, Leicestershire, who has asked not to be named, has been left with only the thumb on his left hand fully intac…

Read more

Rotherham metal firm's safety flaws exposed after worker crushed

Yorkshire Spin Galvanising Ltd. has been prosecuted for safety failings after a maintenance engineer was crushed by a 1.5 tonne weight landing on his back.

The worker suffered a broken shoulder, two cracked ribs and the tops of three vertebrae were snapped off when he was trapped between the count…

Read more

Resources: Healthy Workplaces Magazine

This Magazine is part of the resources produced to support the European Campaign on Safe Maintenance. The articles in the Magazine demonstrate the wide range of maintenance related issues that have an impact on maintenance safety and more generally on safety and health at work. These include, am…

Read more

Healthy Workplaces European Campaign on Safe Maintenance

During 2010-2011, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is helping promote safe and healthy workplaces by encouraging an integrated and structured approach to maintenance.

Maintenance is a process that affects every area of safety and health. Poor standards and a failure to keep working environm…

Read more

Fife worker crushed in potato harvester

A Cupar farming partnership has been fined £112,500 after a worker was killed when he was crushed between the rollers of a potato harvester.

Keith Wannan, 34, from Cupar, died as he was replacing rubber sleeves on the rollers of a potato harvester to prepare it for the new harvesting season.


Read more

Bexleyheath restaurant owner sentenced for carbon monoxide death

The owner of a fried chicken restaurant has been sentenced for an accident in March 2009 in which a 16-year-old girl died from carbon monoxide poisoning in a store room in the restaurant.

The girl and a 19-year old male had permission to stay in the room after the restaurant closed but a cylinder he…

Read more

Pennsylvanian worker's arm severed

A night-shift maintenance employee at R.H. Sheppard in Hanover was seriously injured on Monday after becoming entangled in a pulley of the machinery on which he was working. reports that the man was carrying out routine maintenance on a equipment that is used in making sand molds, when the…

Read more

BAE contractor injured on HMAS Warramunga

A worker has been treated for a serious leg injury after an accident involving a mobile elevating work platform (MEWP) on board Royal Australian Navy's HMAS Warramunga.

The contractor for BAE Systems was carrying out routine maintenance on the ship.

Read more

8 Blog Posts