Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Blog posts : "amputation"

Demolition firm fined after man's arm is severed

UK Demolition Services Ltd. has been fined after a teenage worker's arm was amputated after being crushed during the demolition of old Grand Cinema in Ramsey town centre in Cambridgeshire.

Thomas Bird, from Lichfield, Staffordshire, was working as a labourer for UK Demolition Services Ltd on …

Read more

Worker lost arm in unguarded farm machinery

A worker employed to clear out an industrial chicken shed lost his arm after it became trapped in unguarded machinery.

Mike Aubry, 27, of Bradninch, near Exeter, was working at Millard Poultry Ltd at Little Acre, Lower Godney, Wells, when the incident happened on 4 December, 2010.

In a prosecution…

Read more

Man loses finger at Birmingham factory

A Birmingham engineering company has been fined after a man's finger was severed in a tube bending machine.

Robert Cuzick, 53, from Birmingham was working at Hydrapower Dynamics on 24 January 2011 when he put his hand on the machine's clamping arm to restart it.

However, the unguarded metal arm su…

Read more

Manufacturer fined after hydraulic press crushes Stranraer worker's arm

A machinery manufacturer has been fined after its hydraulic press crushed a Stranraer worker’s arm which was later amputated.

James McKay, 47, had been operating the machine which had been designed by Composite Integration Limited to produce fire helmets. The hydraulic press was being used at M…

Read more

Buckinghamshire worker's fingers severed in bubble wrap machine

An international manufacturer has been prosecuted after a worker lost three fingers in a bubble wrap making machine at a Buckinghamshire factory.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Sansetsu (U.K) Limited for beaching health and safety regulations on 18 May 2011.

Milton Keynes Magist…

Read more

Worker suffers severed finger at plastics firm

A plastics firm which manufactures cases for computer games has been fined after an employee severed his finger in machinery at a factory in Corby.

The worker was trying to fix a problem on a colour dosing unit attached to an injection moulding machine at DuBois Ltd's premises in Arkwright Road when…

Read more

Warwickshire County Council fined for man's injuries

Warwickshire County Council has been prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after a self-employed heating contractor lost most of two fingers in poorly guarded machinery.

John Shields, 64, who traded as Shieldson Heating and was a nominated heating contractor at the Council's Headquarter…

Read more

Fife farming company fined after worker loses two toes

A farming company has been fined after a worker had to have two toes from his right foot amputated, when he became entangled in machinery inside a grain reception pit.

On 4 September 2009, due to heavy rain, the grain reception pit at the premises of R Todd & Company at Blacketyside Farm, Fife, had f…

Read more

Perthshire malt company fined after worker loses part of leg

A national malt company, Pauls Malt Limited, has been fined after a worker had to have the lower part of his left leg amputated, when he became entangled in machinery inside a grain silo.

On 27 October 2008, Derek Kinmond was trying to fix machinery within a silo when he became caught in it at th…

Read more

Pennsylvanian worker's arm severed

A night-shift maintenance employee at R.H. Sheppard in Hanover was seriously injured on Monday after becoming entangled in a pulley of the machinery on which he was working. reports that the man was carrying out routine maintenance on a equipment that is used in making sand molds, when the…

Read more

Stourbridge engineering company fined for thumb amputation

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) reports that M I Engineering Company Ltd. was prosecuted for an incident at its factory in Bromley Street, Lye, which occurred on 30 June 2010. The thumb on an engineer's right hand was crushed by a falling steel plate and had to be amputated.

The company plea…

Read more

Worker's fingers severed - firm fined £5,000

Linpac Packaging Ltd has been sentenced after a worker's fingers were severed while trying to clear a jam in a machine on 13 March 2010.

The company pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 11(1) of the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998. The company was fined £5,000 and ordered to p…

Read more

Firm fined after worker's thumb and finger sawn off

A construction and building firm based in Bury St Edmunds was fined today after a worker's finger and thumb were amputated by a moulding machine.

David Head, 24, a bench joiner of Rubens Walk, Sudbury was shaping a piece of timber when it caught in the cutter and dragged his left hand into the blade…

Read more

Health and Safety News - 22 July 2010

Distribution centre death in Norfolk

A man has died after being injured while working near to a vehicle on the site of a Norfolk haulage firm. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is investigating the incident.

Grinding machine severs worker's foot

An employee of Republic Plastics was appa…

Read more

Health and Safety News - 23 June 2010

American Airlines fined after worker’s leg is amputated

American Airlines has been fined £70,000 after a 45-year-old employee had to have his leg amputated following an incident at Terminal 3 of Heathrow Airport.

Shooting accident at military firing range

US Army officials report that a…

Read more

15 Blog Posts