Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Workers poisoned in carbon monoxide release

Three Sheffield workers were almost overcome by fumes when an asbestos decontamination unit (DCU) began to fill with deadly carbon monoxide. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) told Huddersfield Magistrates' court, the first two workers passed through the unit successfully but the next three men were nearly overcome by dizziness and nausea.

The DCU used a gas boiler to provide hot water for the shower. HSE tests on the boiler showed poor maintenance meant it was pumping out high levels of carbon monoxide.

The contractor and owner of the DCU, Newlincs Services Ltd, of Dudley Street, Grimsby, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health & Safety at Work etc Act 1974. The company was fined £5,000 and ordered to pay £3,580 in costs.

HSE Press Release.

Go Back