Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

London construction company fined after worker suffers severe burns from electrical explosion

A worker sustained serious burns in an electrical explosion after a North London company failed to carry out basic Health and Safety checks.

On the 30th April 2010, the injured man was working on a construction site at Leonard Street, Islington, when the electrical blast occurred. City of London Magistrates' Court heard that the explosion was caused when a main electrical supply cable to the site was cut during its removal.

The employee was working as a subcontractor on a large construction project which involved the refurbishment of three adjacent buildings at Leonard Street to include apartments and commercial use. The man, 35, from East London, worked as sub-contractor for Pineview Interiors Ltd. in Havering, London.

At the time of the incident, a 415 volt 3 phase temporary electrical supply had been provided to the site. The Court heard that on the morning of the incident the worker approached his supervisor, to explain that the electrical cable would need to be removed so that plaster board could be installed.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation revealed that Pineview Interiors Ltd undertook very limited enquiries as to whether this cable was in fact still live.

Pineview Interiors Limited of Rainham, Havering, London, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. It was fined a total of £10,000 and ordered to pay costs of £4,183.

Go Back