Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Landlady fined for gas safety failings

A Staffordshire woman has been fined for failing to provide evidence that a gas safety check had been carried out at one of her tenanted properties.

Liane Dewsbury was originally asked by Lichfield District Council to produce Landlord's gas safety certificates for boilers at two properties she owned in Queen Street, Burntwood. When they were not forthcoming the council referred the matter to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

The certificates are required to confirm that gas appliances, installation and flues at a property have been checked annually for safety by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

South Walls Magistrates' Court was told (on 12 September) that despite numerous requests the certificates were not produced. On 4 October 2011 HSE served two Improvement Notices requiring Mrs Dewsbury to arrange for a competent gas fitter to carry out an inspection of the gas appliances in the two premises and produce a certificate for both. She was given until 11 November 2011 to comply.

The court heard she complied with one of the Notices but despite several more requests by the HSE, she failed to provide a certificate for the second property until 15 February 2012.

Liane Dewsbury, of Main Road, Milford, Stafford, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 33(1)(g) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. She was fined £1,500 and ordered to pay costs of £3,209.


Go Back