Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Firm fined after worker's hair ripped out by machinery

Kelly Nields hair after it was ripped out by machinery at Mainettis factoryA Deeside company has been fined £60,000 after a young worker was severely injured when her hair was ripped out by poorly guarded machinery.

Kelly Nield, 25, of Ellesmere Port, was sorting clothes hangers on a conveyor when her scarf and hair became caught in the chain and sprocket drive of the belt as she bent over to remove accumulated hangers.

She sustained serious throat injuries, lost a substantial part of her hair and fractured a finger in the incident on 11 April 2009 at Mainetti (UK) Ltd. in Deeside Industrial Park. Miss Nield needed a number of operations and was in hospital for three months.

The incident was investigated by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which prosecuted the company for serious safety failings at Mold Crown Court.

HSE found Mainetti (UK) Ltd. had fitted a guard to the conveyor but it did not fully enclose the dangerous moving parts. There was no emergency stop button on the conveyor which could have lessened the impact of the incident.

In addition, the company's risk assessment failed to identify the dangers of entanglement in conveyors, and the need to keep hair and loose clothing secure when near the machinery was poorly enforced.

The court fined Mainetti (UK) Ltd. of Oxnam Road, Jedburgh, a total of £60,000 and ordered the company to pay costs of £21,668 on 17 January 2013.

The company pleaded guilty to breaching three regulations under the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 and one breach under Regulation 3 of the Management of Health at Safety at Work Regulations 1999.


Go Back