Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Didcot manufacturer fined for acetone burn failings

Photo shows the open bowl used to hold the acetone that ignited

A specialist manufacturer of vessels and pipework designed to carry liquid nitrogen and liquid oxygen has been fined after a welder was seriously burned during unsafe hotwork.

The 38 year-old employee, from Oxford, who does not want to be named, was in hospital for a week and needed skin grafts after seriously burning his left leg in the incident at Didcot-based Thames Cryogenics Ltd on 23 January 2012.

An open bowl of acetone ignited as he used it to quench a hot work piece, spilling onto and through his trousers as he attempted to move the container outside.

On 3 March, Thames Cryogenics was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after an investigation identified that the acetone had been used for this purpose before – despite its highly flammable properties.

Oxford Magistrates’ Court heard the acetone was intended for use as a degreasing agent, but that welders also cooled items in the open bowl.

It is unclear how often the quenching happened, although the company admitted in an interview that the bowl in question had been in place since 1986.

HSE established that Thames Cryogenics did not consider the use of large quantities of acetone – some seven litres – in an open container to be an issue, and that 600 litres of acetone were on the premises at the time of the incident.

The court was told that inspectors identified numerous issues with the company’s safety management system, which resulted in three Improvement Notices being served to instigate changes. Following the incident, and in order to comply with the notices, smaller sealed containers were introduced for storing acetone for welders to use.

Thames Cryogenics Ltd, of Gooch Drive, Didcot, was fined £5,000 and ordered to pay £4,500 in costs after pleading guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974.


Go Back