Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Contracting firm and director fined after worker receives electric shock

Fras Contractors Limited and its managing director have been prosecuted for safety failings after a worker received an electric shock from a live junction box during poorly planned maintenance work in London. In addition, the juction box was accessed by placing a ladder on storage boxes beneath it.

Polish national Krzysztof Jabczanik was hospitalised in an induced coma as a result of the incident at a storage company on St Leonards Road, North Acton, on 4 August 2010. He also received serious burns to his left hand and suffered memory loss.

Westminster Magistrates' Court heard that his employer Fras Contractors Limited, managed by Adam Fras, could and should have done more to protect the worker as he attempted to repair an external flood light.

Adam Fras pleaded guilty to breaching regulation 14 of the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 in relation to the incident following the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation. He was fined £1,000 and ordered to pay £1,000 in costs.

Fras Contractors Limited, of Station Road, Smallford, St Albans, pleaded guilty to breaching regulation 4(1) of the Work at Height Regulations 2005. It was fined £1,500 with costs of £1,000.


Go Back