Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Basildon landlord prosecuted for putting tenants' lives at risk

A woman who owns a number of properties in Basildon which she rents to vulnerable families has been given community service for failing to keep their gas appliances well maintained and safe.

Investigations by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Onyemauche 'Fidelia' Peel, 49, of Thamesmead in London, had not been ensuring Landlords' Gas Safety Checks were routinely carried out in at least four properties between 2003 and 2010. Two boilers had to be turned off because they were in such a dangerous condition that tenants' lives were at risk.

Some safety checks had been done by unregistered engineers, and Mrs Peel also used an unregistered gas engineer to install a gas boiler in one property.

At Basildon Crown Court Mrs Peel admitted 7 breaches relating to the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. She was given 150 hours of community service and ordered to pay £2,000 costs.


Go Back