Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Health and Safety News - 30 September 2010

£30k fines after Salford worker killed by digger bucket

Fines totalling £30,000 have been issued following the death of a Salford worker, who was struck by the excavator bucket on a digger. John Cain, 36, was working on a project to demolish the Albert Park Inn on Great Clowes Street in Salford on 22 November 2004 when he was hit by the bucket on a digger. He died from his injuries later that day. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted two individuals and one company for health and safety offences.

Glass company fined for workers' fall risk

A glass company has been prosecuted for health and safety offences after putting workers' lives at risk at a site in Bradford.

Workers at Intercity Glazing Systems Ltd, based in Drighlington, had been made to work at height without a safe system in place, leaving them at risk of falling up to six metres. The company was fined £10,000 and ordered to pay costs of £2,538.

Bristol landlords admit gas safety breaches

A couple who were co-landlords of a Bristol property have been fined after admitting breaching gas safety regulations.

Atulkulmar Ratilal Patel, 55, and Chetna Atulkulmar Patel, 51, of Beaufort Street, Brynmawr, Gwent, were fined a combined total of £6,500 and ordered to pay costs of £1,800 at Bristol Magistrates' Court today. Mr Patel pleaded guilty to two charges after replacing a boiler without being competent to do so, and without being Gas Safe registered.

Worker's arm crushed in roll of fabric

A fabric manufacturer has been fined after a worker's arm was so badly crushed he had to have metal plates inserted to help support his broken bones. The company was fined £13,500 and ordered to pay £5,000 in costs.

Former soldier killed in industrial mixing machine

A building materials manufacturer and its director have been fined a total of £20,000 after a former soldier was killed by an industrial mixing machine blade.

His brother, Ted Palmer, said: "My other brother, John, died from an asbestos disease a few years before Paul, and their deaths have really devastated our family.

Worker drowned at Newhaven Docks

A Sussex port and an Italian shipping company have today been fined a total of £185,000 for health and safety failings after a worker drowned at Newhaven Docks. An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the quayside where Mr Feola was working had insufficient edge protection, was not properly lit and the risks of the job had not been properly assessed.

Crews extinguish gas factory fire

The fire at the LPG conversion factory was caused by an exploding gas cylinder and a man has been taken from the Melbourne site with burns to his body.

Go Back