Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Child loses fingertips in Rochdale park gate

Photo shows the gate where the childs fingers were severedRochdale Metropolitan Borough Council was fined for safety failings after a child had two fingertips severed when they were trapped in a gate at a playpark designed for children under 11 years old.

Trafford Magistrates’ Court heard how the two-year-old boy trapped his fingers in an external gate of the children’s play area at Springfield Park in Heywood, resulting in the injuries to his left hand.

The Health and Safety Executuive (HSE), prosecuting told the court because of his age, it was not possible to ascertain exactly what happened, but it seems he was playing by the gate when one of the other children shut it, causing the hinges to close, and creating a guillotine effect which severed his fingertips.

Rochdale Metropolitan Borough Council of Smith Street, Rochdale, pleaded guilty to Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 on 3 July and were fined £13,000 plus full costs of £1,317.


Go Back