Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Blog posts : "safety news"

Vauxhall owner sentenced over Ellesmere Port death

Photo shows area of factory where Ian Heard received injuries that led to his death

The owner of Vauxhall has been fined £150,000 over the death of a long-serving worker who was crushed in machinery at its car factory in Ellesmere Port.

General Motors UK Ltd. was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after Ian Heard was found at the North Road plant on 22 July 201…

Read more

Two companies prosecuted for gas mains fire in Leeds

Photo shows gas mains fire near residential buildings

Two major companies were responsible for a major blaze in Leeds that led to the evacuation of six homes, the closure of a major road and gas supplies being cut off, a court heard on 31 July 2013.

Leeds-based Northern Gas Networks Operations Ltd. and Morgan Sindall (Infrastructure) plc both neglec…

Read more

Three firms sentenced after man killed by rocketing gas cylinder

Photo shows cylinder with missing valve

Three South East firms have been ordered to pay a total of £685,787.31 in fines and costs for serious safety breaches after a plumber died and six other workers were seriously injured by a barrage of flying gas cylinders.

Adam Johnston, 38, from Sutton, Surrey, was struck by one of 66 heavy cyli…

Read more

Health board fined for asbestos failings

asbestos - the hidden killerA Scottish health board has been fined for safety failings that led to several workers and contractors being potentially exposed to deadly asbestos fibres.

On 20 June, Glasgow Sheriff Court heard that Greater Glasgow Health Board, known as Greater Glasgow & Clyde NHS, had failed to properly manage …

Read more

Council prosecuted after worker's near-death fall

Photo shows the overturned cherry picker

Bradford Council has admitted serious safety breaches after one of its parks' employees narrowly escaped death when he plunged eleven metres from the cradle of a cherry picker.

Bradford Magistrates heard the 23-year-old arboricultural worker from Bingley was working at a height of some 35 feet pr…

Read more

Rochdale bedding firm fined £50k over multiple safety failings

Photo shows one of the machines at the factory which had been wrapped with pieces of cardboard

A Rochdale bedding manufacturer has been fined £50,000 after a health and safety inspection found the majority of its machines were unsafe to use.

Inspectors from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) had to return to Sartex Quilts and Textiles Ltd. for a second day after finding dozens of missi…

Read more

Bolton recycling firm sentenced after worker crushed

Photo shows the recycling site in Bolton where a 61-year-old man suffered serious injuries

A Bolton company has been ordered to pay almost £130,000 in fines and costs after a worker suffered serious injuries when he was crushed between two trucks at a recycling plant.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted DS Smith Paper Ltd. after the firm failed to observe correct safety p…

Read more

Bury roofer in court again over unsafe work

Photo shows three men who were spotted on the roof of a furniture warehouse in Trafford Park without any safety precautions in place

A Bury roofer has appeared in court for putting workers’ lives at risk, despite previously being prosecuted after a man was paralysed in a fall through a warehouse roof.

Tony Massey, who trades as Massey Roofing and Building Contractors, was photographed with two other men sitting on the ridge …

Read more

Wigan worker injured in fall through sports hall roof

Photo shows the corrugated panels Lee Byrne fell through on the roof of Loreto High School in Chorlton

A Wigan roofing firm has been fined after an employee was severely injured when he fell ten metres through the roof of a school sports hall.

Lee Byrne, 29 from Ince, was working on a project to replace the raised roof on the sports hall at Loreto High School in Chorlton with a flat roof when the …

Read more

Rugby firm fined for London skylight fall

Photo shows the skylight at a north London warehouse

A Midlands firm specialising in the installation of solar panels has been fined for safety failings after a worker sustained life-threatening injuries when he fell through a fragile skylight at a north London warehouse.

Brian Dolan, 58, from Warwick, fractured his skull in two places, broke five …

Read more

Recycling firm fined after worker crushed

Photo shows the conveyor support beam Linas Mataitis was crushed against

A worker at one of the world’s largest metal recycling firms was killed because of a failing to properly segregate people and moving vehicles, a court has heard.

European Metal Recycling Limited, which operates across Europe, Asia and the Americas, was (on 20 May) ordered to pay more than £370,…

Read more

Worker fell through pig shed roof after firm ignored safety warnings

Photo shows the fragile part of the pig shed roof that collapsed

A York firm that fits solar panels has been prosecuted after an employee fell four metres through the fragile roof of a pig shed at an East Yorkshire farm.

The worker had been employed for just two weeks by Solar Fit PV Ltd. and had no experience in solar panel installation. He was on all fours c…

Read more

Paper company fined for forklift crush accident

Photo shows the aisle at Swan Mill Paper Company Ltd where the worker was injured by a reversing forklift truck

A Swanley firm has been prosecuted after a worker at its warehouse was injured after being crushed between a forklift truck and a pallet of paper goods.

The Swan Mill Paper Company Ltd. appeared at Sevenoaks Magistrates’ Court (7 May) and admitted safety failings that led to its employee, a l…

Read more

Bradford man may lose lower leg after work injury

Photo shows the incident scene; the metal plates and pallets having fallen in a waterfall effect from the plate turner

A Bradford man may need to have his foot and lower leg amputated as a result of a crush injury caused by the safety failures of his employers more than a year ago.

The city’s magistrates were told (on 1 May) that 51-year-old David Wain, from Holmewood, suffered serious injuries when a 1.5 ton…

Read more

Conder Allslade in court for safety breaches

The steel beam that struck the worker with the steel trolley, to the right, that it was sitting upon before it fell

A Portsmouth steel manufacturer has been sentenced after one of its workers suffered life-changing injuries when he was hit by a falling 1.4 tonne steel beam.

Conder Allslade was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) for serious safety failings that led to the incident at its factor…

Read more

Missing safety catch leads to fine for company

Excavator at the collapsed culvert at Rother Valley Country Park

A York civil engineering firm was responsible for safety failings that led to one of its workers suffering multiple and life-changing injuries, a court was told on 18 April.

The 58 year-old man, from Rothwell, near Leeds, was felled by a seven-metre sheet pile as he worked at a site in Rother Val…

Read more

Waste industry dangers highlighted in court

Metal fragmentiser

A Lincoln man suffered life-changing injuries because of a series of safety failings at the waste recycling plant where he worked in Scunthorpe, a court has heard.

The 25 year-old worker had his arm severed when he tried to clear a blockage on a conveyor forming part of a metal sorting line. The …

Read more

Estate agent and forklift operator prosecuted after electric shock incident

overhead power linesA farmer from Holford received an electric shock when the forks of the fork lift materials handler he was riding on came into contact with an 11,000 volt overhead power line, Taunton Deane Magistrates’ Court heard.

The accident happened in April 2011 at the machinery auction site at Walford Cro…

Read more

Farmer crushed by badly fitted door

The barn with the roller shutter on the ground

A North Yorkshire farmer died when he was crushed under a half-tonne roller shutter door that had been badly installed, a court has heard (on 16 April).

Robert Ireland, 71, died from multiple injuries on 28 October 2010 at the family farm in East Heslerton, near Malton, when a roller shutter door…

Read more

Gas fitter sentenced over Irlam explosion

Irlam Merlin Road gas explosion

A gas fitter has been sentenced following a major explosion in Irlam which injured ten adults and five children, and left a 73-year-old woman with severe burns.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Paul Kay after carrying out a large-scale investigation into the explosion on Merlin Ro…

Read more

20 Blog Posts