Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Blog posts : "gas safety"

Unregistered gas installer put lives at risk

An unregistered gas fitter has been prosecuted for illegally carrying out work on a house in Hucknall, putting residents' lives at risk.

Robert Metcalf, 54, installed a new gas boiler at the Long Hill Rise property during August and September 2009, but following problems with the new boiler t…

Read more

Ipswich gas engineer fined for illegal work

A self-employed gas engineer has been fined for carrying out unregistered work on commercial premises in Ipswich.

Duncan Frere, 37, of Wilkinson Drive, Ipswich was hired between May and June 2010 to carry out the installation and connection of a number of gas appliances at the Super Kebab House…

Read more

Unregistered gas installer prosecuted

An unregistered gas installer was caught illegally carrying out work on a house in Newark.

Mr Phillip Birchmore, trading as PSB Plumbing and Heating, capped off a gas supply at the property in August 2010.  He then removed one boiler and hung a replacement boiler on the wall. Concerns were rais…

Read more

Suffolk mushroom grower prosecuted after workers' lives put at risk

A company has been fined after a visit by Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspectors found dangerous conditions in a factory on an industrial estate near Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.

Suffolk Mushrooms Limited was also housing 37 employees in a disused office block with a potentially unsafe gas boi…

Read more

Wigan landlord sentenced over gas safety risk

A Wigan landlord has been prosecuted for putting the life of a tenant at risk by falsifying a gas safety document.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) took legal action against Terence McBride after it discovered he had changed the dates on the record for an annual gas safety check to suggest…

Read more

Basildon landlord prosecuted for putting tenants' lives at risk

A woman who owns a number of properties in Basildon which she rents to vulnerable families has been given community service for failing to keep their gas appliances well maintained and safe.

Investigations by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Onyemauche 'Fidelia' Peel, 49, of T…

Read more

Lancaster landlord sentenced for putting lives at risk

A landlord in Lancaster has been sentenced for putting the lives of a family at risk by failing to arrange an annual gas safety check.

Carole McMillan, 57, was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after she failed to arrange for a registered engineer to visit a property on Birkdale…

Read more

Walsall landlord prosecuted for putting tenants at risk

A Walsall landlord has been sentenced for failing to provide a gas safety certificate.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Khalid Hussain following a complaint from a tenant and her partner, who rent a house at Raleigh Street, Walsall from him.

Walsall  Magistrates’ Court heard that…

Read more

High Wycombe landlord prosecuted for putting tenants' lives at risk

A landlord has been fined after an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found he failed to ensure gas fittings, including a wall mounted boiler, at a property he rented out, were safe.

The HSE reports that Mr Asif Azam of Whitelands Road, High Wycombe, plead guilty at Aylesbury …

Read more

Workers poisoned in carbon monoxide release

Three Sheffield workers were almost overcome by fumes when an asbestos decontamination unit (DCU) began to fill with deadly carbon monoxide. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) told Huddersfield Magistrates' court, the first two workers passed through the unit successfully but the next three men w…

Read more

Landlord fined for failing to meet gas safety regulations

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted a landlord for breaching two counts of the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998 and one count of failing to comply with the requirements of an Improvement Notice served on him in August 2010.

Portsmouth City Council notified HSE after requ…

Read more

Health and Safety News - 11 October 2010

Lancashire couple in court after repeated injuries

A Lancashire couple has been prosecuted after an employee was seriously injured twice in less than two months at a pine furniture workshop in Bacup.

Restoration firm fined after wall collapse

A Wiltshire construction company has been prosec…

Read more

12 Blog Posts