Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

London construction company fined for carbon monoxide death

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) reports that a London construction company and a security company manager have been fined after a security guard died from carbon monoxide poisoning while at a work.

A petrol-powered electricity generator had been provided by Precis Holdings Ltd to power a portable heater and lights, as there was no electricity supply to the building.

Victor Etu, 36, was working as a security guard at Dover House, Morden Road, Mitcham. Mr Etu was found lying on the floor in an office along the corridor from the office holding the generator.

Precis Holdings Ltd of Park Lane, Westminster pleaded guilty to breaching Section 4(2) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. The company was fined £60,000 plus costs of £24,515.

Obioma Chukwudi of Iona Cresent, Slough, Berkshire, pleaded guilty to  breaching Section 3(2) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. He was fined £30,000 plus costs of £15,000.

Go Back