Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Warwickshire County Council fined for man's injuries

Warwickshire County Council has been prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after a self-employed heating contractor lost most of two fingers in poorly guarded machinery.

John Shields, 64, who traded as Shieldson Heating and was a nominated heating contractor at the Council's Headquarters at Shire Hall, Warwick, was checking a heating pump in the basement plant room on 4 October 2009 when his hand was pulled into the running belts of a hot water pump.

Two of his fingers were amputated below the first knuckle as a result, leaving him with a permanent tingling and stinging sensation in his hand. He still needs to take medication for the pain, which is exacerbated by cold weather. He has been unable to return to work and has difficulty carrying out a number of everyday tasks.

The HSE investigation into the incident found that the back of the machine was not adequately guarded, exposing dangerous moving parts.

Nuneaton Magistrates' Court heard that Mr Shields, whom the council had employed as the main heating contractor for the building for more than a decade before the incident, believed the pump was not running.

Warwickshire County Council, based at Shire Hall, Warwick, pleaded guilty today (6 December 2011) to breaching Regulation 11(1) of the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998. The council was fined £7,000 and ordered to pay £5,235 costs.

Go Back