Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Transport firm fined over worker's head injuries

The excavator Mr Collins was helping to move when the incident occurredA Suffolk haulage operator has been prosecuted after one of its workers suffered a fractured skull as he tried to recover a 17-tonne abandoned excavator.

Experienced fitter Paul Collins, 51, had worked for Tannington Transport for only three months when he was struck on the head by a heavy-duty vehicle jack when it 'popped' out of position.

The incident on 8 September last year triggered an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which brought the prosecution against the company for a serious safety breach.

On 26 June, Ipswich Magistrates' Court was told that Mr Collins, of Walsham-le-Willows, Bury St Edmonds, was one of a team of three employees ordered by the firm to recover an old excavator that had been lying for years in a hedgerow in Chelmondiston.

The three workers located the excavator in fields near Grove Lane but realised it would be impossible to tow with the telescopic handler they had taken with them. Most of machine's tyres were flat and sunken into the ground, wedging it firmly in place. The men decided to raise it using bottle jacks and to then place metal sheets under the wheels to make it easier to tow.

It was during the lifting operation that one of the jacks 'popped' out under considerable force, hitting Mr Collins on the side of the head He was taken to hospital and later diagnosed with a fractured skull. He has since made a good recovery and was able to return to work ten weeks after the incident.

The court heard HSE found Tannington Transport Ltd., which operates across East Anglia, had failed to consider the potential risks or provide a plan to help get the job done safely.

Tannington Transport Ltd., registered at Rendham Road, Saxmundham, and operating from Tannington in Woodbridge, Suffolk, pleaded guilty to a breach of Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. It was fined £6,000 and ordered to pay £3,291 in costs.


Go Back