Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Blog posts February 2012

Man's fingertip sliced off at Stoke factory

An air conditioning manufacturer has been fined after a man's fingertip was cut off by a circular saw at the company's factory in Stoke-on-Trent.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Eaton Williams Group Ltd - which trades under the name of Colman Moducel - following the incident at its …

Read more

International fencing firm prosecuted for serious safety failings

An international fencing manufacturer has been fined after a worker suffered severe injuries to his left arm at a production plant in Sheffield.

Betafence Ltd. of Shepcote Lane, Sheffield, was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) for a serious safety breach following an investigation …

Read more

Unregistered gas engineer left Cheltenham householders in danger

An illegal gas engineer lied to a householder about being registered to the industry body and left one property at risk of explosion after carrying out work at premises in Cheltenham.

Cheltenham Magistrates Court heard Christopher Clark, 39, a self-employed gas engineer, commissioned a central heati…

Read more

Company fined after worker's arm impaled by steel bars

A company in Tonypandy has been fined after a worker's arm was impaled by two steel bars.

Allevard Springs Ltd was prosecuted for failing to adequately prevent the risk of injury to employees using machinery after Steven Rowe was seriously injured while operating a machine at the firm's Clydach Va…

Read more

Farmworker suffered severe injuries in fall

A farmworker suffered severe facial injuries after falling 16ft through a shed roof in Cornwall.

Bodmin Magistrates' Court heard self-employed worker, James Best, 24, of Blisland was asked to help remove fibre cement roof sheets from a shed at Park Farm, Washaway, near Bodmin on 12 July 2011.

The …

Read more

Plumber jailed for carrying out illegal gas work

A Suffolk plumber who put lives at risk by illegally working on domestic gas appliances has been sentenced to six months in prison.

Paul Jowett, 40, of Nelson Road, Pakefield, Lowestoft, admitted five breaches of gas and health and safety regulations when he appeared at Ipswich Crown Court today.

Read more

False identity leads to prosecution for Peterborough gas fitter

A self-employed plumber has been fined for posing as a registered gas fitter to try to carry out work on gas appliances at a Peterborough take-away.

Francesco Vaira, 61, of Lincoln Road, Peterborough, admitted breaching health and safety laws by carrying out illegal gas work by using a false ide…

Read more

Dover man fined for asbestos failings

A Kent-based partner of a development company has been prosecuted after dangerous conditions were found at a demolition site in Dover.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Allan Smith for failing to undertake an asbestos assessment and for not securing a demolition site.

Allan Smith, …

Read more

Two companies fined for worker's injury at power plant

Two companies have been fined after a worker at Drax Power Station in North Yorkshire suffered a broken foot when a 13kg weight dropped nearly four metres from an overhead crane.

A mechanical fitter, from Scunthorpe, had been operating the 21-ton crane with a colleague and needed it to change dir…

Read more

Death at Hampstead site leads to prosecution

A construction company and director have been fined following the death of a worker at a site in Hampstead.

Father-of-one, Craig Page, of Islington, was working on a building site in Denning Road, when a mini-crawler crane was in the process of lifting a skip onto the site.

The skip, containing li…

Read more

Bristol firm fined after lack of hygiene facilities for workers

A Bristol building firm has been fined after a court heard it failed to provide basic washing and welfare facilities for workers despite enforcement action at another of its sites.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) visited CR Construction (SW) Ltd on 16 June 2011 at its building site at Pembroke…

Read more

Oxford landlord fined for failing to meet basic gas safety regulations

An Oxford landlord has been fined for endangering the lives of his tenants after consistently failing to provide safety records for gas appliances at a property he rented out in Didcot.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted William Edwards, 42, of Oxford, for breaching three charge…

Read more

Care home fined after resident's fatal fall from window

The owners of a Wrexham care home have been sentenced after an elderly resident defeated the window restrictor of his first floor bedroom and fell 12ft to the ground below.

Stanley Tilston, 79, suffered from dementia and was a resident at Plas Rhosnesi Nursing Home on Cefn Road in Wrexham. On th…

Read more

13 Blog Posts